Sunday 24 September 2017

How tall is my Halfling?

I have come up with two new companions for the adventurers. The little party of characters I created using B/X Moldvay rules that I use in images detailing posted adventures. I went with an elf and a dwarf.  According to B/X rules the elf must be a fighter/magic-user and the dwarf a fighter. And of course my halfling is a fighter and cannot be a thief as much as I want him to be one. But I tend to ignore that. If I was running an adventure and needed to choose rules I would probably use Labyrinth Lord’s Advanced Edition Companion. It is the closest to the house rules I used back in the 1980’s.


Creating the meshes in Blender for the Elf and the Dwarf had me thinking of scale. As in how tall is the dwarf. I opened the Basic Rules and according to them “Dwarves are short, stocky demi-humans about four feet tall.” I already had made my halfling 4 feet tall so I had to look up halfling as well and it turns out in the Basic rules they average 3 feet tall. Elves are 5 to 5 ½ feet tall.


I modified the character meshes to match. Now Ted Quickfoot is 3’ 1” tall. My new dwarf, Toskar Redhelm, is 4’ tall and the new elf Juenael is 5’ 3” tall. Standing them all in a scene with Ted in front of Johann the human fighter makes me realize the tiny size of halflings. Granted Johann is a very large human fighter at 6’ tall. Xobin the mage is probably a more average human height at 5’ 7” tall. This is a fantasy setting so it can be expected that humans are a little shorter more in line with the Medieval averages.


It is hard to imagine that Ted the halfling can be any use in a fight. I am using Basic rules and gave him a strength of 16. He could be kicking in stuck doors. It seems a little out of scale.

Toskar, Johann, Xobin, Juenael and Ted (opening the chest)


Newcomers to Xobin’s crew of adventurers.



Toskar Redhelm: Str 18, Int 13, Wis 11, Dex 7, Con 14, Cha 11, Hp 6, AC 4, HD 1, #AT 1 battleaxe+3, Dmg 1-8+3, SA D1, AL Lawful. Toskar is a 45 year old dwarf from Grimwell. He joined up with the adventurers after hearing of their exploits in the Barrow of the Forgotten Legion.


Juenael: Str 15, Int 17, Wis 11, Dex 18, Con 7, Cha 13, Hp 8, AC 1, HD 2, #AT 1 longbow+3, Dmg 1-6+3, SA E2, AL Lawful. Juenael is an elf from one of the destroyed elven communities in the wildlands. As such she is a wanderer. At various points in the past she has crossed paths with Xobin. Recently she did so again and decided to travel with him. She does not discuss her age but she appears unchanged from when Xobin first met her when he was a young apprentice.

________________________________________________

I really should write up an adventure to explain the scene in the image and the mysterious blue phantom. I have been making incremental improvements on these character meshes. Mainly with a better understanding of how textures work. But other small things as well (added pockets to Xobin's robe). Johann is still the only one wearing a backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment